Creamy Vegan Mushrooms
Makes approximately 600 grams (4 x 150 gram portions)
Calories: 296 per serving
- 500 gm white mushrooms (washed and cut into 1/6ths)
- 1 small to medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp coconut oil (90 ml)
- 1 x 160 ml can coconut cream
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs freshly chopped marjoram or oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Using a large pan, saute the onions in 2 tbs coconut oil until golden and transparent. Meanwhile, finely chop the marjoram with the garlic.
- When the onion is ready, add the herbs & garlic to the mix and cook through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 4 tbsp coconut oil to the pan. When hot, throw in the white mushrooms and stir to evenly mix the coconut oil through.
- Keeping the heat medium-to-high, and stirring at intervals, cook the mushrooms until their juices are starting to ooze out, then a little more to dry some of them up.
- Add the herb & garlic mixture and stir through.
- Reduce the juices a little, then pour in the coconut cream. Stir through.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stirring regularly, simmer the mushrooms until the coconut cream has reduced to the desire thickness. This would depend on personal taste, i.e. on how much sauce you wanted to serve up with your mushrooms.
Creamy Vegan Mushrooms is ideal for brunch, or as an addition to a main meal. It’s yummy served with lightly toasted Ciabatta.